CAACB logo

CAACB Fall Workshop

Application of Automation, Digitalization, and AI for Pathogen Safety | Barriers, Challenges, and Successes in the Implementation and Validation of NGS



Tuesday, October 17th, 2023 – 8:00AM–4:40PM [ET]

Samberg Conference Center Dining -Rooms 5 + 6 & Virtually

Session 1: There is a growing interest in the biopharmaceutical industry in automation, digitalization, and the use of artificial intelligence to increase efficiency, reduce the need for people to perform repetitive, non-cognitive demanding tasks, and to improve decision making and accountability. At the previous CAACB workshop, there was significant discussion around when and in what context such tools should be applied for pathogen safety and viral clearance. There was not consensus on what situations were most amenable to the implementation of automation, digitalization, and AI, how best to get management buy-in, and even when to no longer pursue an automation strategy.


Wednesday, October 18th, 2023 – 8:00AM–1:30PM[ET]

Samberg Conference Center Dining -Rooms 5 + 6 & Virtually

Session 2: Next-generation sequencing (NGS) continues to be of high interest to biopharmaceutical manufacturers as seen from recent discussion at the previous CAACB workshop. This interest is also mirrored by the fact that 81% of CAACB member companies reported in 2021 that they are currently using or exploring the use of NGS for viral safety while the remaining 19% expect to do so in the future. Sharing of company experiences on the barriers and challenges, both internal and external, as well as successes in the implementation and validation of NGS could help generate an aligned approach and identify areas where industry can work together towards adoption of this technology to improve patient safety.



If you are interested in joining the CAACB, please contact James Leung.





Oct 17 - 18 2023


All Day


Samberg Conference Center
50 Memorial Drive, Cambridge MA


MIT Center for Biomedical Innovation